Our COVID Experience
On June 18th, Father’s Day Weekend, we were both exposed to COVID. On Sunday, I, Jim started having an odd sore throat. Then by Wednesday I was beginning to experience fever, headaches, body aches and other symptoms. On Thursday Phyllis phoned my primary care doctor who immediately prescribed prednisone and an inhaler. I have a bit of history with pneumonia so my doctor started an aggressive effort. I believe, thanks to my doctors aggressive response, I began to get better starting on Saturday. However, Phyllis began to worsen. By Tuesday morning she could not breath, then we rushed her, via ambulance, to the hospital. This began her seven day stay at Bethesda North with a diagnosis of COVID pnuemonia. To keep our story short, I continued to heal and recover, slowly, with lots of fatigue and sleeping most days most of the day while she was in the hospital. Upon Phyllis release she came home with oxygen, as well as some drugs she was being weaned off of. Today, about seven weeks out from the beginning I am feeling quite good. Phyllis is still dealing with inflamed lungs and an inflamed heart, tires easily and often, and is on oxygen, as needed. We are so very grateful for our recovery which we attribute directly to the prayers of many! Thank you for being in this with us, for providing food, council, medicine, sitting with Phyllis, mowing our lawn, running to the grocery store and so much more! The body of Christ is truly amazing!!!
2021 #LoveLockland Street Party
Months ago we made plans with Mark Lopez, Student Minister at Faith Bible Church, Tony Jones, after school ministry volunteer and Keith Ray, after school ministry group leader, to sponsor a street party at Wayne and Walnut (where our buildings are located). We had secured permission from the Village to close off the street for the party. Keith, Tony and Mark put together all of the logistics and resources for the block party. Several weeks prior, as I continued to spend my days sleeping and being fatigued due to COVID, I spoke with Mark about postponing the event. He suggested we wait till the next Monday and talk again (I just love the wisdom of this pastor). That weekend I began video conferencing with Phyllis while she was still in the hospital. Even in her very sick state she urged me to press on making this profound statement – “the Metanoia Center is more than Jim and Phyllis. Our ministry partners are quite capable of handling everything without us on July 23rd.”. She was right. I spoke with Mark the following Monday and let him know we wanted to press on with the event.
On Friday, July 23rd about 20 students from Faith Bible, Mark, Tony, Keith, board members and a bunch of other volunteers showed up for the street party. We had around 300 people participate in the party along with the Lockland Schools, Foundation Bible Presbyterian Church, Lockland Christian Church, the Metanoia Center’s ESL Leaders (Brian and Kinsey) and Hosanna Revival (Lockland’s own Bible publishing company). Lockland’s police department was also on hand along with a visit from our Mayor and several council members! We are so glad we kept the date and pressed on and so grateful for everyone who came to help to make it happen. Several weeks after, we are still hearing, from those in the neighborhood and those who attended, how much the event blessed them and encouraged them. As I mentioned earlier, the body of Christ is amazing! Please take time to navigate through some of the photos below.
113 Front Door Upgrade
As we write this newsletter we are waiting for the final details to be put in place on the new front door and glass windows on 113. It’s taken several months to get this completed and we are almost there! Check out the photo below! Thank you to Kenwood Baptist Church for their kind and generous donation towards this project as well as to our other donors – all who have helped to make it a reality. Click the image below to see a larger version.
If you’ve been following along, you might recall the floor joists in building 113. The joists under the second floor that rotted through as a result of a long term roof link. Getting them repaired was also drawn out until we decided the scope of the project needed professionals. We hired Structural Systems Repair Group to complete this project. SSRG completed the project in only 5 days this spring. We then began waiting for Hamilton County to inspect them and sign off on the permit. Praise God — last week we met with the inspector and in about 15 minutes he said “Good job. I’ll approve this!”. We are now working with our architect to finalize the rest of the drawings in order to pursue other permits to continue the work on this building. We are praying specifically and fervently as we search out how to fund the costs to complete this building. Please let us know if you have questions on how to participate in this effort!
We have someone in the neighborhood looking for a Windows 10 computer, at least 4gb of RAM, i5 cpu or better and 500gb or better of storage. They only need the box and keyboard and prefer a tower (we have the monitor already). if you have one laying around, please let us know.
- Thank you, once more, for praying with us through our COVID days. Phyllis and I were both very aware of your prayers. We are very grateful! Continue to pray for Phyllis full recovery!
- Pray for funds to keep pushing building 113 forward. We are at the stage of putting things back together, the most expensive stage of the transformation of this building into a ministry center!
- Pray for our after school clubs as we come into the season of when students go back to school. The clubs are now talking about returning to the school buildings – we would love to see this happen!
- Pray about upcoming roof and guttering projects we are beginning to schedule. As well as finishing painting the exterior of 115 and beginning the painting of the exterior of 113.
- As we are re-focusing on the completion of 113 – pray with us for wisdom as to the sequence of things to get done, for the financial provision to do them, for professionals to work with us. Pray that we can continue to show transformation of the physical buildings to the neighborhood around us. Especially as we talk about the transformation that happens because of faith in Jesus.
- Pray for our after school groups and their leadership with school starting up in just a few weeks we want to cover them with prayer: Keith Ray, Tony Jones, Terrie Zellner, Somer Ray and other volunteers, Jack and Meghan Mailhot and Olivia and Josh, and a re-start of the Good News Club and the calling of leadership and volunteers for this effort.
- Continue to pray for our ESL team and their effectiveness with their students. These students are predominantly from Senegal and Mauritania.
Serving With You Because of Him,
Jim and Phyllis
About Us: Jim and Phyllis are faith-based independent missionaries commissioned by Faith Bible Church, Cincinnati, Ohio serving with the Metanoia Center. Donations to their ministry may be made through the Metanoia Center, Business Office, 316 Home Ave., Lockland, OH, 45215 or online by visiting https://www.metanoiacenter.net/donate.php. If sent by postal mail, please include a note with your donation indicating your desire to direct it to Jim and Phyllis Null’s Ministry Area. The Metanoia Center is recognized by the IRS as a 501c3 organization, thus your donation can be considered for tax exemption – please consult with your tax professional for details.
Contact Us: our contact information is: Jim and Phyllis Null, 316 Home Ave., Lockland, Oh, 45215 – Telephone: 502-235-7005.